Saturday, October 26, 2013

Weigh-In Saturday

Starting weight: 301
Last week's weight: 246
Today's weight: 244
Total loss: 57 pounds

Man…where to begin? Remind me not to complain about the little things in life ever again, will you? Because I've just been given a huge wake up call.

So yesterday afternoon around 2pm… I was about to begin my 7th period class when I got a call from my husband John. It's rare that he calls me during the day, so I got them started on an activity and snuck out in the hall to listen to his voicemail. He was calling to tell me that he thought he was passing a kidney stone. No big deal, I thought…we've been down this road before. In fact, he had a major episode the morning I came home from the hospital after having lap band surgery. That's a whole other, crazy story. Yesterday afternoon when the pain started to happen, he called his regular physician, but found out that he was out of town all week. He decided to head to the local hospital, because they had all of his history from the June episode...CT scans and such.

After work, I headed there to meet him. It's about a five minute drive from my school. I got there just as the doctor was coming in to tell him what he had found. It turned out that it was not a kidney stone at all. His white blood cell count was sky high, and he had a severe kidney infection that was running a real danger of causing him to become septic. I should probably also point out that John doesn't feel pain like a normal person. I was sitting there wondering how this infection has gotten so bad so quickly. Long story short, they admitted him to the hospital and began pumping him full of fluids and IV antibiotics. Now it's Saturday afternoon, and the doctor has advised him that he will probably be staying for one more night, possibly two. His fever has come down some, but he still feels awful.

After all of this, posting about my weight seems like an afterthought, but I ended up losing 2 pounds this week. All of that fretting I was doing earlier in the week was unnecessary, it seems. I was bumming myself out for NO reason. Lesson learned, Universe.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...I hope he heals quickly! What a scary situation. Thank goodness he went o the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much. It was super scary. I heard the doctor say the word "septic" and I promptly freaked out.

      He is doing really well and went back to work for the first time today. :)

      Delete