Tuesday, May 27, 2014

May 27, 2000

On May 27th, 2000, I went on a first date with this really nice, cool guy that I had met at a local record store. Record stores. Remember those? He got my number, and called me a few days later to invite me to come see his band play a gig at a Little Rock hotspot called Cajun's Wharf.

As I walked in the bar that night, he and the band had just launched into Al Green's "Tired Of Being Alone". I was immediately impressed. At the first break, he made a beeline over to me to make sure that I was having a good time. I was. Before going back on stage for his second set, he told me to order whatever I wanted to drink and then he gave me a cute little side hug that I thought was the sweetest thing ever.

After the gig that night, we went to an all-night diner. We ordered the "Can't Decide Sampler" appetizer and two diet Cokes. And we talked. About everything. The more he talked, the more I liked him. John's voice has always felt like home to me. There was no awkward first date weirdness. No pretense. Just a feeling of "Oh! There you are. I've been waiting on you." Home.

We talked until the sun came up and 14 years later, the conversation still hasn't stopped.

He is my best friend, my constant support and my biggest cheerleader. He loves me no matter what size I am and has told me that I'm beautiful every single day that I've known him.

The past 14 years have included a lightning strike (John), adopting a sweet rescue cat, several major home renovations, and now this crazy weight loss journey. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have by my side.


3 comments:

  1. This post had me smiling the entire read. How sweet. Everyone deserves this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post made me smile. Reminds me of my own relationship.. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete