Thursday, March 27, 2014

March: 5 Things I'm Loving

I hope everyone is having a spectacular week! It has been a really great Spring Break and I've been trying to enjoy every moment. I've not done a whole lot, but then again...that was the plan! :)

I thought I'd take a moment and share a few things that I've been loving this month. So, without further ado...here we go!

1. Vitalicious VitaTops - All Flavors

I mean...come on. You knew that this would make the cut. I cannot get enough of these delicious little cakes. Whether I'm making my imposter Carrot Cake, or just eating them right out of the wrapper, these are my favorite food find of the month. Right now, I'm loving the Deep Chocolate warmed in the microwave with a half tablespoon of peanut butter melted on top. 148 calories of scrumptiousness.
Can't stop. Won't stop.
 
You can check them out at vitalicious.com
 
2. Milani Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss
Here is what the Milani website says: "Experience lip gloss that has rich color, extreme high shine, and comfortable lasting wear. Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss is moisturizing and non-tacky. The flexible sponge-tip applicator makes application easy."
 
Here is what I say: these are JUST like M.A.C. Lipglass at a fraction of the price. You can find Milani cosmetics at drugstores nationwide. I picked these up at Walgreen's.  
 
3. Xersion Workout Shirts from JCP
I am really digging the Xersion line of workout wear at JC Penney, and these are my new favorite workout shirts. I can usually find these on sale for around $12...you know JCP always has a coupon available or a sale going on. They come in all kinds of awesome colors and the fit is great. I have a couple of Nike Drifit shirts, and I like these way better. First off...they are softer, and secondly....can we talk for a minute about how SMALL Nike runs? It's a little disheartening to have lost nearly 90 pounds, only to still wear a 3X in Nike clothing. Amirite?
 
4. Smart Ones Fish and Chips
Confession time. I LOVE Captain D's. Do you guys have Captain D's where you live? I know you might be thinking "Welllll...we have Long John Silver's. Isn't that the same thing?" No. No it's not.
 
How do I even begin to describe the deliciousness? Their fish is crispy, flaky, and delicate. Their hushpuppies are golden, light, and fluffy. Do NOT even get me started on the coconut shrimp.
 
But here's the deal...I don't go there anymore. And, hyperbole aside, it is really damn good. But every now and then I'll get that crispy fish fast food craving and this does the trick. Kudos to the mad food scientists who designed the "crisping tray" because it really works well here. This is not an every day kind of meal. The sodium is pretty high and the protein is not all that great, but if you need to stop yourself from visiting the Cap'n, this will help you out in a pinch.
 
One caveat: Smart Ones also has a Chicken Strips and Fries in packaging almost exactly like this. Do NOT buy it. I beg you. Just don't. It is literally the worst frozen diet meal I've ever had. And I've had almost all of them.
 
5. High Heels
 
Another confession. I'm not really 5'2. I like to pretend that I am, and that's what's listed on every "official" document, but I'm not. I'm really a little less than 5'1. So...when my weight started creeping back up a few years ago, and my knees started hurting very badly, high heels became a thing of the past. It really sucked because when you're as short as I am, a little bit of a heel allows you to be able to do certain things that taller people take for granted. Like....oh I don't know....being able to reach things on high shelves at the grocery store without having to ask for help from total strangers. 
 
Now that I have virtually NO knee pain, and my plantar fasciitis is doing fine, I'm happy to report that I'm back in my heels again! So when I spied these navy and red sandals on Haute Look for $44 (regularly $79), I had to snap them up. I did a quick internet search to make sure I couldn't find a lower price, and what do you know...I found them at ShoeMall.com for $31.99 with a 20% off coupon AND free shipping for a total of $23! Score! I think they are going to look great with jeans, white jeans, or even my army green pants.
So there you have it! What are you loving lately? I'd love to know!

Thanks for reading!

 
 
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Those shoes are HOT! #jealous because I never wear heels except for job interviews. I might start once I have some cute clothes to justify new shoes... Maybe I will find some....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For $23, I couldn't pass them up.

      Yes! You deserve some new duds for the new job! Treat yo' self! :)

      Delete
  2. You are tiny!! I assume everyone in blogland is the same height as me of course, lol. (I'm 5'7") Glad you are enjoying Spring Break! Kids here aren't off until the week before Easter. I thought that was pretty universal, but apparently not! Even though they can't call it Easter break, I thought they linked it with that time.... Speaking of height, my hubs is 6'6", so when we acted together, I had to wear heels all the time, even though I'm fairly tall, or it looked silly! Now I don't wear them very often though. But since losing weight, I'm starting to wear them more commonly too - like my boots with heels, etc - because I love the feeling too! The only weird thing is I forget how tall they make me next to my friends who I haven't been used to wearing them around...if that makes any sense! My bff is about your height. :-) But my kids are really tall - my teens are taller than me. Okay, have I exhausted this topic? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5'7 is my DREAM height! My best friend Rachel is 5'7, and it's like...perfect. I have just this minute returned from taking FOUR pairs of pants to be hemmed and the kicker? I ordered them in the "petite" length.

      You and your hubs sound exactly like my mom and dad. He is about 6'1, and she is 4'11. :) My sister is the tall one....she's 5'3.

      Delete
  3. Those shoes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I cannot wait to get them and see if they're as cute as they look online!

      Delete
  4. One of my fave things at about 70 pounds down was realizing I can stand wearing heels! I wear them nearly every day and that thrills me. Now, people give me some 'woah' looks until they look at my feet, because in most of my heels I'm chillin at about 6'2. I don't even care I'm a giant, I've adopted the term 'glamazon' and I will use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glamazon is right! I've seen you in those UNC heels, girl. You are killin' it. :)

      Delete
  5. I will have to pick up that fish and chips and try it! I miss Captain D's and Long John Silvers I stopped going because there is NOTHING you can get to eat there that is remotely healthy - that I like! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!! I see advertisments for their "grilled selections" and think...yeah right. Who gets those?

      The Smart Ones is in NO way as delicious as the real deal, but it'll satisfy the craving for sure. The French fries are really good too!

      Delete
  6. HEEL YEAH! (Haha...ha)

    Holla to the tall girls, Hollee! Love being gawked at. I feel like a glamazon (thanks for the term!) drag queen in the most delicious of ways.

    Julie--Do you know that as a certified taller person (6'2" in my heels), I actually enjoy helping shorter divas reach things? Maybe it's just me loving the fact that I'm tall and wanting to exploit it...but, oh well :) P.S. I'm a new follower of yours, but I've been lurking for a little while now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to you, "certified taller person"! I laughed out loud when I read that. I'm so glad you're here and that you commented.

      It makes me feel better to know that tall people really don't mind! Sometimes if the store is fairly empty, I just have to hang out for a minute until someone tall walks by. Now that I've lost a bit of weight, I'm also not afraid to climb those shelves like a monkey if I have to. :)

      Delete
    2. I like reaching the high things too :) Starting at age 12 I was the designated person in my parents house, and my mom stopped using her step stool for the longest time--until I left for college!

      Delete