Saturday, March 29, 2014

Weigh-In Saturday

Starting weight: 301
Last week's weight: 212
Today's weight: 212
Total loss: 89 pounds
Banded: 6/7/2013

So...it was with no small amount of anxiety that I stepped on the scale this morning. Trust me when I tell you that I have enjoyed my spring break. In last week's weigh-in post, I told you guys that I was going to allow myself some treats this week, and I definitely did.

Let's see...Saturday night there was Mexican food. With guacamole and many chips. I had iced sugar cookies from my favorite bakery one day. And of course I had to sample the banana pudding that I took to John's work for him and his coworkers. Oh yes...and donuts. Just two though...a chocolate filled and a glazed cake... and I enjoyed every delicious bite. These illicit shenanigans occurred Saturday through Tuesday, and by Wednesday morning… I had to cut myself off and get back on track. Truth be told… that kind of crazy eating, especially the sugar, was making me feel like complete and total shit. Not to mention, my skin just looked horrible. When I eat badly, it really does show up on my face. Welcome to your forties, ladies! :)

So by Wednesday…when I returned to my regularly scheduled programming, it really was kind of a relief. In the days since, my energy levels have returned, my skin is looking better, and I just feel better overall. This is not to say that I didn't completely enjoy those treats, but I guess I kind of have a new perspective.

Something else that is new…despite being off track with my eating this week, I was firmly on track with my workouts. And because I was on spring break, I could go to the gym whenever I felt like it...usually late morning. When school is in session, I go around 3:30. One thing I noticed this week is that when I can get to the gym shortly after eating something, it really makes a difference in how well I can perform. Coupled with those extra calories from the aforementioned treats, I don't mind telling you I felt like a beast in the gym this week. I could go longer, harder, faster…everything. My takeaway from this is that I may need to shuffle some calories around on the days that I workout.

But here's the cool thing…normally if my eating was off the rails, I would also have the attitude of "why even bother going to the gym?" I used to have kind of an "all or nothing" personality when it came to health and fitness. I was either the Captain of the Weight Loss Train, or I was the one crashed in the ditch clutching a Strawberry Margarita in one hand and a box of Twinkies in the other. Could it be that I have finally separated the two in my mind? That it doesn't have to be ALL or nothing all the time? I really do think that I have gotten to a place where I simply like how I feel after I exercise. This is huge for me. I will also admit that vanity plays into it a little bit. I'm really proud of my new muscle tone, and I want to keep working at it so I don't lose it.

School starts back up on Monday, and we also have parent-teacher conference on Monday night after school. It's going to be a long day. But I've had a wonderful break and I feel ready. I think John and I are going to go out to dinner tonight and then chill at home.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Thanks for reading. :)

9 comments:

  1. You are such a stud. First. Awesome job on keeping the workouts up. It's inspiring. I feel like I've fallen completely off the exercise wagon. Second. Back up to those cute red/navy heels...toooooooo adorable. I'm coveting. Third. Also the lipgloss. Buying some tomorrow. Fourth. I adore you. Just needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww....right back at you, sweet friend. :)

      I have missed you so much! But I know you've been having the time of your life with your family. I'm so glad your husband is back.

      And yes....at $23, I couldn't afford NOT to get those heels, right? They should be delivered on Wednesday and I'm excited. Let me know what you think about the Milani lip gloss!

      Delete
  2. I've been toying around with eating/not eating before workouts. I generally like to go on an empty stomach, but I do go first thing in the morning. Sometimes I eat a piece of fruit which seems to be okay. Today I had a protein bar and I felt weighted down. Mostly, I try to drink a protein shake afterward if I don't eat before. I guess in my screwed up brain, I think if I exercise on an empty stomach, my body will have no choice but to burn fat. Lol. I'm going to do my first Zumba class tomorrow. I'm totally freaked out and intimidated, but I've been inspired by Lap Band Gal and I'm gonna do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this and I thought of you. I'm not sure of the calorie content but it looks yummy.

    http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/carrot-cake-pancakes-10000001949746/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read so many things over the years that say exactly that....you should exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. It's the morning part I have trouble with. I have to be at school at 7:15 in the morning, so I don't even want to THINK about how early I'd have to get up to get in a workout beforehand. :)

      Let me know what you think about Zumba! And thank you so much for the recipe link. Those look AMAZING!!

      Delete
    2. Zumba was fun, but I have reached the point that I can do a really decent hour on the elliptical, so Zumba didn't really seem to get my heart rate up the way I would like. Plus, I'm not a very bouncy person as I have ginormous tatas. I can see how everyone loves it though.

      Delete
    3. ME TOO!!! I don't need to to be shakin' all of this, believe me. :)

      I felt the exact same way. My Cybex workout gets my heartrate up immediately and keeps it there. I would have to go to Zumba a zillion times before I could do the routine full out and get actual benefits from it. It's just not my soulmate workout, I'm afraid.

      PLUS...I have figured out that I'm kind of a lone wolf exerciser. I don't want to wait until a certain time for a class to start. I like to fit in my workouts around my life....not vice versa.

      Delete
  4. Funny, I get totally sick if I try to work out after eating anything! I just make sure I'm super hydrated then have a significant meal after the session.

    Feeling like the extra junky calories helped might mean that you need some more good carbs in your diet if you'll be training every day. Not alot, just a couple spoons full of brown rice or quinoa either an hour or so before training or up to 90 minutes after.

    Here's an article that has alot of interesting info on carb timing (Plus that site is amazing in general): http://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-diets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it MUST be that. I'm telling you....I was like a machine. It was like...whoa. It may also have something to do with the great sleep I was getting during spring break too. I love both brown rice and quinoa. Plus quinoa has a good bit of protein too. I'll check out the article. Thanks!! :)

      Delete