Monday, July 29, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls

I can feel the summer slowly slipping away from me. This time in two weeks I'll be back at school, so I'm soaking up every bit of time that's left.

The best part about summer is sleeping in, and that's exactly what I did today. I woke up around 9:30 and had my Vanilla Unjury iced coffee. It was quite a while before I was hungry, but eventually I had a scrambled egg and some cottage cheese. I'm starting to think ahead to the school year, and I think the fact that I don't get hungry until later in the morning is going to serve me well. My conference period is from 10:00 to 10:50am, and I think that's probably when I will try to eat breakfast every day. I'll just have to work all that stuff out. Nothing like living bell to bell. Grrrrrr. But that's a fact of life for a high school teacher.

After that, I went to the gym and did work out number one for the week, I'm planning on doing four workouts this week too, but trying to increase them in duration and intensity.

When I got home from the gym I was ravenous, and I went with a few of my favorite things. Some smoked ham, some fresh mozzarella, and a bit of olive tapenade.

Around this time last year, I discovered the most wonderful blog called Can You Stay For Dinner? The woman who writes it, Andie Mitchell, describes herself as a "28-year-old passionate cook, baker, and friend to chocolate." And oh yeah…several years ago she lost 135 pounds. Her essays about weight and the emotions surrounding being overweight, are  powerful, insightful, and inspirational. Andie is currently working on two books… a weight-loss memoir and a cookbook. Speaking of her cooking, I have yet to make a recipe from her website that wasn't just delicious. I'm particularly excited about the one I made for dinner tonight. Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls. Yum!

I had 16 ounces of rotisserie chicken on hand, so I made 20 of these and put some in the freezer for future meals. I just love doing that. This is another recipe where I will calculate the nutritional info each time I make it. It can really change depending on the amount of chicken you have, and the kind of chicken...white meat, dark meat, etc. These were pretty simple to put together. Just an eggroll wrapper with an ounce of rotisserie chicken,  a sprinkling of blue cheese, and a little bit of cabbage slaw. Andie says the cabbage slaw gives it a nice crunch and she is completely right. For this recipe I used Treasure Cave Reduced Fat Blue Cheese. Here is what they look like before you roll them up:
 
Before baking:
 
 
And fresh out of the oven:

This is another keeper, y'all. I'll make these again and again.

Saving room for a Yasso Coconut Bar and a cup of Diet Swiss Miss before bed.

My totals for today:

Have a great week and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I need to learn how to cook! Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This involved more "assembly" than anything else. I had them again tonight and I think they were even better. :)

      Delete